St John's is a Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School attached to the Church of St. John the Baptist, Clay Hill. Founded in 1867 for the promotion of a Christian Education, it was remodelled in 1969 as a village school.
At this time there were just two classrooms in the school and around 54 pupils. In 1997 St. John's Church allowed the school to purchase their hall, this became the current school hall enabling the original school hall to be turned into a third classroom. Further building work in 2001 provided a fourth classroom, and formed the school as it stands today.
The church foundation governors are in the majority on the governing body, the staff are employed by the governors and the governors are responsible for all that happens in school.