St John & St Luke Clay Hill, Enfield, Middx.
Registered Charity Number 1151418
St John’s and St Luke’s combined intonew parish of Clay Hill
Rev John Noddings Vicar of Clay Hill
Click Here to go to Clay Hill Parish timeline
Rev John Heath Moore, Vicar of St Andrew’s Enfield, bought land for a new chapel
St John’s Church built by Rev John Heath Moore.
St John’s Church opened for worship 10th November
Rev George Viner appointed as curate
St John’s Church consecrated 31st July
St. JOHN’S PARISH CREATED
Rev George Viner first Vicar of St John’s
St John’s Vicarage built in Strayfield Rd Gas lighting installed in St John’s Hunter organ was purchased
Rev George Minns Vicar of St John’s
Pews and terracotta reredos installed
Rev James Moody Vicar of St John’s
Rev Marmaduke Hare Vicar of St John’s
West wall foundations replaced
St John’s Primary school built
Rev Stephen Campbell Vicar of St John’s
Parish Hall opened
Clay Hill parish magazine started
Rev Robert Gill Vicar of St John’s
New heating was installed in St John’s
Rev Beresford Potter Vicar of St John’s
Rev Vincent Travers Macy Vicar of St John’s
The eagle lectern presented to St John’s
St John’s hall was built next to school
Church Lads Brigade started
Rev Dr Robert Brandon Vicar of St John’s
Railway extended to Cuffley with stations at Gordon Hill and Crews Hill
88 parishioners from St John’s and St Luke’s killed on active service
Services and meetings disrupted by air raids carried out by German airships
Rev Rosslyn Webb Odell Vicar of St John’s
Parochial Church Council formed
New heating was installed
New communion rails purchased and organ overhauled
Rev Harold S B Critchley Vicar of St John’s
Chime of 8 bells installed at St John’s
9th Enfield Scouts started at St John’s
Lych gate was dedicatedat St John’s
Choir stall fronts installed.
Church Lads Brigade closed.
Expansion of housing in the parish bungalows were built at Crews Hill
9th Enfield Scouts disbanded
Police telephone box erected by the lych gate at St John’s – subsequently moved to nearer the ‘Fallow Buck’ pub
Rev Henry Scott Vicar of St John’s
Windows in St John’s damaged by blast from a flying bomb that exploded in Gordon Hill
9th Enfield Scouts re-formed
Rev Ralph Baldry Vicar of St John’s
War Memorial plaque installed
Electric lighting installed.
Electric blower installed for organ
Children’s corner created
Vicar’s field next to St John’s used a cycle race track
by the Clay Hill Aces Speedway Team.
Rev Ben Ross Vicar of St John’s
Choir vestry built
Oak panelling installed behind altar to commemorate Coronation of Queen Elizabeth.
New parish magazine “Hill Top” launched
9th Enfield Scouts merged with 20th Enfield at Jesus Church.
Centenary celebrated with special service and garden party.
Bus bought to take parishioners to St John’s Church –
it was named ‘Gabriel’.
‘Clayesmore’ house used by Rev Ben Ross as St John’s Vicarage.
Fete and garden party held at Bramley House, to raise money to replace ‘Gabriel’ bus. New bus bought for £700
Gas heaters replaced the coal fired hot air system
Oak panelling extended along both sides of nave and organ restored
Exhibition of church kneelers
Memorial window to Elizabeth Ross installed
St John’s school extended
World War 2 memorial installed
St John’s vicarage sold and 14 Kilvinton Drive purchased as new vicarage
Rev Stephen Knight Vicar of St John’s
New gas heaters installed
Youth Club re-started
Last “Gabriel” church bus sold.
Rev John Noddings Vicar of St John’s
Please let us know what you think of this information click here to leave your comments
1914 -18 War Memorial
Rev John Heath Moore
St John’s 1858
St John’s vicarage built 1867
St John’s primary school
Gordon Hill Station 1910
1939-45 War Memorial
Rev Vincent Travers Macy
St John’s Bells
St John’s Church 1930’s
Rev Howard Critchley
Rev Henry Scott
Rev Ben Ross
Rev Stephen Knight