The Parish of Clay Hill

St John & St Luke Clay Hill, Enfield, Middx.

Home Who's Who Hall Hire News Gallery Diary Marriage Baptism Contact Us
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print

Registered Charity Number 1151418

Home Diary Who's Who Hall Hire Services Stewardship News sitemap webmaster


1885



1890



1891



1893



1894



1895



1896



1898


 

1899



1900

 


1901



1906


 

1908



1910



1913



1914-18



1919



1929



1930s



1933




1935



1935-6



1936



1938



1939-45



1940



1941



1946



1946-7



1947



1948



1948-9

 


1949



1949-50



1950



1950s




1951



1952



1956



1958



1959



1961



1966



1967


 

1968



1969



1970s



1971



1973



1974-75



1975



1976



1978



1981



1982

 


1983


St Luke’s ‘Iron Church’ opened
17th December


Mothers’ Meetings started.

Second-hand Harmonium bought for
St Luke’s Iron Church

Brigadier Hill House sold where St Luke’s stands

St Luke’s Infants School opened next to
Iron Church

Iron parish room built in Hawthorn Grove

Rev Vincent Travers Macy bought land for
St Luke’s Church

Foundation stone for
Clay Hill Parish Institute laid in April.  
Opened in November

St Luke’s church
foundation stone laid by Bishop of Islington.

ST LUKE’S PARISH CREATED


St Luke’s church opened

Rev Vincent Travers Macy
first Vicar of St Luke’s

Mothers’ Union started

St Luke’s Vicarage
built in Browning Road

St Luke’s enlarged
to its present size


St Luke’s organ built


by Bishop & Sons

Rev James Carter
Vicar of St Luke’s

Rev Bridgeman Lethbridge Vicar of  St Luke’s

Lavender Road School opened.

6th Enfield Scouts started at Chase Farm School.

1914-18

88 parishioners from
St John’s and St Luke’s
killed on active service.


Services and meetings disrupted
by air raids carried out by
German airships

St Luke’s Infants School in Hawthorn Grove closed

12th Enfield Scouts started

St Luke’s Players amateur
drama group formed.


Expansion of housing at the
north end of Browning Road,
Morley Hill and Kilvinton Drive
and in Phipps Hatch Lane,
Baker Street and Burnham Close.

6th Enfield Scouts disbanded
at Chase Farm School.

New coal fired heating boiler installed

Rev Frank Pond
Vicar of St Luke’s

6th Enfield Scout Group started

Rev George Johnston
Vicar ofSt Luke’s

Missionary Committee formed


Brownies and Guides started

Electricity installed in
Small Hall in Hawthorn Grove
by St Luke’s Sports Club

Rev Ralph Goodwin
Vicar of St Luke’s

ARP used the Small Hall in
Hawthorn Grove.
 
Iron railings around St Luke’s removed as part of scrap metal drive.

Scouts ‘dug for victory’
in Vicarage garden.

Rev Ralph Goodwin took over as
Group Scout Master of 6th Enfield Group.

Tolmers Scout Camp opened at Cuffley
– used by Cubs and Scouts from
St Luke’s for camping,

Scouts installed indoor toilets
in Small Hall in Hawthorn Grove.

Electric lighting in St Luke’s vestry and organ blower installed

St Luke’s Players disbanded and the Waverly Theatre Club was formed.

Top floor of St Luke’s Vicarage converted into a flat for a curate.

Waverly Theatre Club returned to performing in St Luke’s Institute.

Nativity plays performed in church

Re-tiling of St Luke’s roof completed

First World War memorial moved to  its present location.

Lady Chapel altar rails installed
as memorial to those who died in WWII.


Stations of the cross dedicated.

South-west corner of
Vicarage under-pinned

Most of Vicarage garden sold.

Stations of the Cross dedicated by Bishop of Willesden.


Young Wives group formed.


Entertainments Committee formed

Electric lighting installed in main part of St Luke’s Church.

New coke fired heating
boiler installed

York Mystery Plays
performed in church.


Special service held as part of the ‘Mission to London’


Rev Michael Shearman
Vicar of St Luke’s

Automatic oil fired heating boiler installed

Special service was held
 to celebrate 60 years
of St Luke’s

St Luke’s Youth Club started
to meet in the coffee bar
of the Institute in Morley Hill.

Experimental use of
a nave altar

New chapel was built at
Chase Farm Hospital.  
Vicar of St Luke’s
was hospital chaplain

The Macy Memorial Garden started

‘Stewardship Programme’ launched

The Lancastrian Theatre Club formed
– met in the Small Hall in Hawthorn Grove


‘Noah’s Ark’ open youth club started
in Coffee bar of St Luke’s Institute
.

Name of the Institute changed to ‘
St Luke’s Youth Centre’

St Luke’s celebrated 70 years with a special service and concert in the church.


St.  George’s Chapel converted to a refectory area for refreshments after services.


 A scheme of ‘Road Stewards’ operated.

Annual ‘elder parishioners parties’ organised

Nave altar platform area used for concerts.

‘Luke Alive’ exhibition held to celebrate 70th anniversary of St Luke’s

Organ restored and pipes decorated

Altar temporarily moved to west end
during the construction of the
permanent nave altar

Nave altar dedicated by
Bishop of Edmonton.

Vicarage suffered serious
subsidence after very dry summer
and sold

92 Browning Road became Vicarage

Church spire restored.

Church struck by lightning
– damage to roof timbers at
east end over the refectory

Celebration of 25th anniversary
 of induction of
Rev Michael Shearman

1987

St John’s and St Luke’s combined into
new parish of Clay Hill

Rev John Noddings Vicar of Clay Hill

Click Here to go to Clay Hill Parish timeline

Please let us know what you think of this information click here to leave your comments

St Luke's 1899

Enlarged Church

War Memorial

St Luke's Iron Church

Infants School

Scouts dig for victory

Hospital Chapel

Rev Vincent Travers Macy

Rev Michael Shearman

Waverly Players

Nave Altar dedicated

Spire Restored

Laying the foundation stone

Rev Bridgeman Lethbridge

Rev Frank Pond

Rev Ralph Goodwin

Rev Francis Bale

St Luke’s Avenue and
the houses built on the site
of the old Vicarage garden.


Council houses built in
Rendlesham Road

Rev Francis Bale
Vicar of St Luke’s


Rev John Noddings