Registered Charity Number 1151418

                   A Brief History of our Parish

For centuries, the parish church of St Andrew’s in the market place was the only church

in Enfield. The parish stretched for miles to the south, west and east and extended

northwards almost to Potter’s Bar.

St John's church Clay Hill 1858 From the beginning of the nineteenth century the rural character of the parish changed as industries started up and the population increased. In the late 1850’s the vicar of St Andrew’s recognised a need for a church building in Clay Hill and organised the building of a chapel there. The chapel, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was opened in 1858 but was not formally consecrated until 1865. St John’s did not have its own vicar but was a subsidiary church within the parish of St Andrew’s. Then in 1867 St John’s was separated from St Andrew’s and became the parish church of Clay Hill, with its own vicar, independent of St Andrew’s. Lancaster Road formed a boundary between St John’s parish and St Andrew’s parish. Click Here to Read More
Walk through the history of our parish from its construction in 1858 to the present day.  Click Here to to see our journey.
PARISH OF ST JOHN AND ST LUKE CLAY HILL (created December 1987) John Henry Noddings 1987 - 2002 Leslie Sargent Drake 2003 - 2009 Dr Robert Edward M Dowler 2010 - 2016 Peter James Howard Godden 2017 -
Registered Charity Number 1151418

A Brief History of our Parish

For centuries, the parish church of St Andrew’s in the market place was the only church in Enfield. The parish stretched for miles to the south, west and east and extended northwards almost to Potter’s Bar. St John's church Clay Hill 1858 From the beginning of the nineteenth century the rural character of the parish changed as industries started up and the population increased. In the late 1850’s the vicar of St Andrew’s recognised a need for a church building in Clay Hill and organised the building of a chapel there. The chapel, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was opened in 1858 but was not formally consecrated until 1865. St John’s did not have its own vicar but was a subsidiary church within the parish of St Andrew’s. Then in 1867 St John’s was separated from St Andrew’s and became the parish church of Clay Hill, with its own vicar, independent of St Andrew’s. Lancaster Road formed a boundary between St John’s parish and St Andrew’s parish. Click Here to Read More
Walk through the history of our parish from its construction in 1858 to the present day. Click Here to to see our journey.

The major renovation of St John’s

church following serious subsidence

See the renovation of St Luke’s

pipe organ

PARISH OF ST JOHN AND ST LUKE CLAY HILL (created December 1987) John Henry Noddings 1987 - 2002 Leslie Sargent Drake 2003 - 2009 Dr Robert Edward M Dowler 2010 - 2016 Peter James Howard Godden 2017 - 
Registered Charity Number 1151418